In early 2014, both SPARK and the Yemeni Business Club (YBC) together with the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) began exploring the initiative to set up a center that will provide support and contribute to youth entrepreneurship, innovation and creating jobs. The Business Support Centre Yemen (BSC Yemen), the first of its kind to support entrepreneurs, who often experience challenges during start-up and growth stages by providing them with innovative solutions and enabling them to develop their business. This approach is highly relevant to the social and economic situation in Yemen with regards to the challenges facing youth, as well as acknowledging youth, men and women, as vital economic actors in the country’s overall development and stability. Solutions for Start-ups BSC Yemen supports young entrepreneurs in the beginning stages of their company to face challenges like lack of capacity and knowledge of doing business (management, sales and finance), difficulties with access to (startup) finance, lack of professional networks, innovation and market knowledge. The services offered at the center consists of business skills trainings and workshops, Business Plan Competitions, supporting access to finance, coaching and mentoring entrepreneurs, and other more specific services. Solutions for Growing Businesses Young entrepreneurs with existing and growing businesses have a different set of challenges or a different scale of challenges that they face in post-conflict societies. For example: poor general management skills, lack of business development skills, no market(ing), lack of technology and business knowledge, and too little absorption capacity of investments. These and other challenges hinder them greatly in realizing their full potential, attract investment and grow, diminishing their capability to hire and retain employees. BSC Yemen Services
• Business Advisory: business knowledge and skills.
• Training: variety of trainings for startup and growth oriented entrepreneurs who wish to start a business.
• Business Plan Competitions: organizing competitions for startup entrepreneurs.
• Mentoring and coaching entrepreneurs: provide with continuous support for entrepreneurs in developing their business.
• Agribusiness Development Solutions: technical and business services for improved business operations in the agriculture industry.
• Access to Finance: linking businesses to financial capital.
• Matchmaking solutions: make successful matches between local suppliers and multinationals in the supply chain